If you are a temple member and would like to hold your wedding in one of Emanu-El’s sacred spaces, then contact our Events Manager in the Temple Office. Once a date has been secured, you will be asked to arrange a preliminary meeting that will last a little more than an hour, at which we will begin addressing the many details required to plan your wedding. (A meeting with the couple and one of our rabbis to discuss the ceremony also must be set up well in advance of the wedding.)
Following is a list of the main topics to be discussed at your preliminary wedding meeting:
• Location — Fifth Avenue Sanctuary or Beth-El Chapel
• Rehearsal date and alternate
• Number of guests (estimated)
• Members of the wedding party (number, relationships and responsibilities)
• Special seating requirements
• Where the couple will dress
• Transportation to and from the synagogue
• Wedding-day logistics and schedule
• To see or not to see each other before the wedding
• Photo-session scheduling
• Location of reception
• Names of witnesses
• Traditions — chuppah, ketubah, Kiddush cup, breaking of glass
• Musical choices
Also, please note:
• Temple Emanu-El requires that at least one member of the couple or either set of parents (if those to be wed are under age 25) be members of the congregation in good standing.
• One of our temple organists will play at your wedding and rehearsal unless other musical arrangements are made. The fee for Fiscal Year 2017-2018 is $550.
• There is never any charge for rabbinic or cantorial services for members of our congregation. However, it is appropriate after the wedding to express your thanks to the officiating rabbi by making a donation to the temple in honor of your joyous event.