Important notes to get your group going.
You are a sacred piece of something big…
What is Gather?
Gather is Emanu-El’s small groups initiative, bringing together people from across our community to learn, connect and grow. These lay-led circles ignite conversation and relationship, bringing connection to an increasingly ‘distanced’ world, based on common interests and questions. Gather is one of the ways we make our larger congregation feel small.
Gather started in February 2020 and is now beginning another round of virtual lay-led groups. These groups will meet through May 2021, with the option of renewing.
Curious about Gather? Please reach out to us with any questions at .
Please note the following:
- All groups will meet on Zoom. Specific details will be provided be the leader of each Gather group.
At this time, please select only one group to allow space for all who would like to participate.
Once a group is filled, a waitlist will be created or additional groups will be created if additional people volunteer to lead.
Space is limited to 10-12 individuals per Gather group.
Gather members can be expected to…
- Create real and honest relationships.
- Help create an inclusive space where all can share comfortably.
- Create a place where members are present for each other.
- Find ways to mark Shabbat, holidays and life cycles together (within the framework of your group).
- Respond to guide’s emails promptly when requested.
- Support group members in times of need and celebrate in times of joy.
- Have fun!
New Gather Groups:
All Gather Groups:
Brush Up Your
Explore Modern & Biblical Models of Leadership
Parent(s) and Caregivers of Children with Special Needs
State of the World: Multi-Generational Current Events Group
Sheroes of the Torah
Sports Fans Gather: All Ages, stages and genders!
Tradition – How to Create Meaningful Family Rituals that Matter
Gather is a partnership between lay leaders, staff and clergy.
Membership Committee and Gather Vision Chair:
Nicole Frankel (Trustee of the Board)
Gather Vision Committee:
Rabbi Sara Y. Sapadin
Need assistance to start your Gather group? Contact Rabbi Sara Y. Sapadin: 212-744-1400 ext. 501
Recommendations for making a meaningful Gather group.
Q & A
Need an Idea?
How about these…
- Justice and Jewish Thought Discussion Group
- LGBTQ Torah Study + Culture Club
- Ask Big Questions: 8 gatherings, 8 different coffee shops, 8 different BIG questions
- Life: A Walk in the Park (walking group)
- NYC Adventures: New experiences, new connections
- Humility, Patience and Truth: A Gather group to reflect on Jewish values & Contemporary Life
- Men Who Talk: Judaism and Medical Ethics
- Emanu El Runs: Raise your heartrate and big issues
- Shabbat Potluck
- Cocktails and Torah