Come Work with Us
When you begin your career at Temple Emanu-El, you become part of the rich history–and the future–of our congregation, which has served and led the New York Reform Jewish community for more than 175 years. While rooted in our legacy, Temple Emanu-El is also fueled by a sense of purpose, justice, and innovation to invigorate Jewish life today.
Temple Emanu-El is a 501(c)3 religious organization, which employs approximately 250 full- and part-time staff across variety of departments and functions, including Clergy, Administration, Membership, Marketing & Communications, Development, Finance, Music, Lifelong Learning, Religious School, and the Nursery School, as well as Bernard Museum of Judaica, Stettenheim Library, and the Streicker Center. Temple Emanu-El provides generous benefits and paid-time off–including Jewish holidays–to our employees. We are an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for any of the open positions below, please submit a resume with a cover letter to the email address in the job description with the position title in the subject line of your email.
Assistant Teacher, Nursery School
Job Title: Assistant Teacher
Department: Nursery School
FLSA Status: Full Time – Salary Exempt
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Reports to: Nursery School Director
Salary Range: $32,000 -$35,000
Temple Emanu-El Nursery School seeks candidates for assistant teacher who love to work with young children. Candidates must be empathetic, kind, and energetic, and willing to work with all colleagues across the school and the director as a team. Candidates should also demonstrate organization, patience, even temperament, flexibility, initiative, spontaneity, and enthusiasm.
Candidates will participate in all aspects of the classroom, and in the life of the school.
- Teaching within the classroom on the daily basis to support the cognitive, social, and emotional growth of the students
- Collaborating with fellow teachers and the school’s administration
- Understanding and supporting the school’s play-based educational philosophy
- Developing warm and caring relations with students, colleagues, and parents
- Helping maintain the classroom and create a positive environment for learning
- Ensuring the physical safety of the students
- Contributing ideas to the curriculum
- Participating in parent conferences, under the guidance of the head teacher
- Attending Parents’ Night and other school-wide events
- Helping document student interactions and behaviors for conferences and reports
- Participating in professional development workshops
- Keeping your medical forms and professional development certifications up to date
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Lifting (minimum 40 lbs)
- Bachelor’s Degree
Please send cover letter and resume to Gabrielle Savoldelli,
Deputy Executive Director
Status: Salary Exempt
Reports To: Chief Operations Officer
Salary: $190,000 – $210,000
The Deputy Executive Director leads the day-to-day work of the membership, operations, events, facilities, human resources, and other special initiatives. The Deputy Executive Director is involved in supporting the strategic efforts for the overall temple in partnership with the Chief Operating Officer. The Deputy Executive Director is a member of the operational steering team which includes the Vice President of Finance, Vice President of Development, the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications and Director of Security. Together, this team will set operational priorities, annual strategic goals and will assess the impact of temple wide efforts to create efficiencies, interdepartmental connections and to promote best practice and principal approaches to the wide array of work taking place to enable Temple Emanu-El to be a leader in the Jewish Community and beyond. The Deputy Executive Director will track trends in the areas of membership, operations, and events to ensure current efforts exceed standards. This leader will work to develop systems within the temple to support cooperation, effectiveness, and engagement.
The ideal candidate for the Deputy Executive Director role is proactive and will work diligently to ensure the day-to-day operations of the temple function efficiently and smoothly. The Deputy Executive Director is passionate about building vibrant community and enjoys interfacing with a wide array of people daily. This leader will work to create systems to ensure membership, events, operations, human resources, and other member serving programs are organized and well run. This person will be a strategic thought partner with the COO/Executive Director and will help to continue to build a dynamic organization fit to serve members, those in the temple’s virtual community and work with other partner institutions. This person is collaborative by nature, working closely with lay leadership, and working across departments with colleagues to help them strategically meet their goals and grow the temple’s reach. This leader is excited by mission driven work and can support the vision of a leading organization in the Jewish world. With responsibility for overseeing and mentoring a team, the Deputy Executive Director will possess experience in successfully developing and managing staff directly and educating on best principles and practices across the organization.
Membership Outreach and Engagement
- Supervise the Membership and Engagement Department, including planning for and execution of the High Holy Days and membership dues renewals, ensuring that best practices guide salesforce/CRM utilization, that lifecycle events are well managed, and that member engagement is prioritized across programs and departments.
- Assess alternative membership models based on post-Covid trends in the Jewish Community.
- Lead efforts to build additional volunteer opportunities for members, as well as provide support to volunteer programs such as Tikkun Olam and Shabbat Greeters.
- Support and supervise life cycle events, including member support prior to and on the day of the event.
- Work to support the COO by leading, coordinating, and overseeing the day-to-day core functions of the temple.
- Oversee the temple operations team, including the management of the master calendar, program set ups, all business-related rentals, the mailroom, and smooth day to day functioning within the physical plant.
- Develop and responsibly manage budgets as appropriate.
- Train, supervise and mentor a high performing team in pursuit of these goals.
- Identify, engage, and manage external resources as needed.
Staff Leadership, Management, and Human Resources Support
- The Deputy Executive Director manages the following departments/major areas of work: membership, operations, events, human resources, volunteer programs, and other member serving programs. This leader will directly supervise the Manager of Membership and Engagement, the Director of Facilities, and the Human Resources Manager; the Membership, Events, Operations and Maintenance/Engineering teams include additional staff members. The Senior Director will also work closely with the Director of Security on day-to-day operations and events.
- Build strong internal relationships with various temple departments such as the Streicker Centers and outreach programs, schools, caring community, development, and member affinity and small groups and effectively manage department requests and provide counsel and consultation on specific operationalneeds and strategies.
- Supervise the Manager of Human Resources to support all Human Resources components of Temple Emanu-el, including ensuring the temple is an employer of choice; ensuring legal compliance, up-to-date policies and procedures, staff development programs support employee needs and interests, and an equitable compensation strategy.
- Serve as the proxy Executive Director when necessary.
- Drive the adoption of internal processes, workflow and standards that are effective and collaborative.
- Support the Membership, House and Human Resources Committees and other relevant lay leadership efforts as appropriate.
- 10+ years of experience in operations, membership, administration, and leading organizations.
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven success in running day to day operations of complex organizations.
- 7+ years of proven management and people leading experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Salesforce
- Familiarity with or interest in learning about Jewish community and culture
- Ability to represent the Synagogue in public settings.
- Available to periodically work evenings and weekends; provide leadership onsite during the High Holy Days and attend up to two Friday or Saturday worship services monthly, events and meetings as necessary.
The salary range for this position is $190 – $210,000 commensurate with experience. Congregation Emanu-El requires all employees to be vaccinated. The temple will continue to work with its medical advisor to maintain health and safety policies in accordance with CDC and NYS/NYC Department of Health best practices. Congregation Emanu-El employees are currently working remotely up to one day per week.
For more information about the position or to apply, please send a cover letter and resume by email with the subject line “Temple Emanu-El Deputy Executive Director” to:
Job Title: Membership Assistant
Reports to: Membership Manager
FLSA: Salary Non-Exempt
Flex Schedule: Monday – Friday with Flexible Schedule
Salary: $50,000 to $55,000
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Member Services / Outreach
- Provide high levels of internal and external customer service to members and the wider temple community
- Outreach and welcome new and prospective members
- Staffing Friday evening Shabbat services (Greeters), Lifecycles (12 Saturdays a year), and other various events
- Help plan, execute, attend, and follow up on a wide array of member programs
- Provide phone and email coverage for the general Membership Department daily and for the entire temple periodically
Database and Record Management (via Salesforce & Mailchimp)
- Ensure Salesforce and Mailchimp are up to date by data entry
- Collaborate with the Salesforce Users Group
- Process Membership Applications and activate membership records
- Produce real-time reports on member demographics and member trends for the Membership Committee, Board of Trustees, and Senior Leadership
- Assist in the preparation of annual Membership renewals and monthly billing
High Holy Day Preparations
- Collaborate with the High Holy Day team in preparation for and throughout the High Holy Days
- Engage with members during High Holy Day services
- Manage and provide exceptional customer support for member ticket reservations
- Assist with member and out-of-town visitor reciprocity requests
- Support and facilitate the production of new member welcome packages
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required for this position and may change at any time.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess or exhibit the following qualifications:
- 1-2 years administrative, membership, programming or other related work experience
- Ability to build relationships and interact effectively with a diverse group of staff, clergy and community members
- Professional work style, ability to represent the temple in public-facing roles
- Able to work independently and on a team, managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Self-motivated, thinks ahead and takes initiative on projects
- Superior attention to detail and accuracy, highly developed organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and/or Salesforce
- Enthusiasm for working in an historic Jewish congregation undergoing meaningful and exciting growth and change, understanding of/experience with Reform Jewish life a plus
Please send a resume and detailed cover letter to Allison Salzman, Membership Manager at . The interview process will commence immediately with qualified candidates. No phone calls please. While we wish to acknowledge all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Generous PTO (paid time off), as well as all major federal and Jewish holidays
- Paid parental leave*
- Paid Family Leave*
- Retirement plan with employer matching*
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flexible spending account (FSA) for unreimbursed medical expenses*
- Life insurance*
- Short-term disability
- Tuition Reimbursement*
- Free temple membership and free religious school
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Discounts to temple and Streicker Center programs
- Great colleagues who share a passion for making a difference
* Subject to waiting period
Congregation Emanu-El requires all employees to be vaccinated and those who are eligible to be boosted. The temple will continue to work with its medical advisor to maintain health and safety policies in accordance with CDC and NYS/NYC Department of Health best practices.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The Congregation does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.