Mitzvah Day, 2018
A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!
Today, as we all came together as a Temple community volunteering side by side to help those who are so less fortunate than ourselves we accomplished an amazing Mitzvah. I.M. Weis Hall looked abundantly full of items for over 2,300 recipients. Just imagine, in an hour and a half over 23,000 items left the building. This is a huge undertaking and without your support, guidance and commitment this Mitzvah would not be possible. So many smiling faces as packages were filled, brunch was enjoyed in I.M. Weis Hall, 55 guests dined at the Bagel and Bingo Brunch in room 402 and members of Temple Emanu-El’s Stitch N Time knitters enjoyed a brunch as well. A huge thank you to Phyllis and Norden Hahn and the volunteers who prepared the food for all to enjoy. One Hundred and seventeen volunteers were in attendance today!!!
Without the support of Temple Emanu-El’s Philanthropic Fund this Mitzvah would not be a possibility. Temple Emanu-El is able to touch the lives of so many people and although it is a small portion of what they may need, through our efforts we can place a smile on their faces for a few moments in time!! All the items designated for these packages have been requested. The various organizations we serve have been carefully chosen and I have personally met with all the organizations. I am including a list of the organizations as well as the number of packages that will be distributed tomorrow.
MITZVAH PROJECTS & LEADERS 2018
- 48 BIRTHDAY BOXES for women & 24 BIRTHDAY BOXES for men ~ Shelly Levine, Phyllis Silver ~ for DOROT
- 72 ACTIVITY BOXES ~ Young Members, Lauren Kaufman, Max DeLott ~ for CHAM/ Children’s Hospital at Montefiore
- 48 MOMMY & ME ~ Katherine Ames ~ for Project Sunshine
- 72 HEART TO HEART ~ Arlene Janover ~ for Mount Sinai Pediatric Cardiology
- 72 CAREGIVER KITS ~ Beth Gershon ~ for Mount Sinai Pediatric Cardiology
- 300 ESSENTIALS KITS ~ Carole Greenberg, Rebecca Weisberg, Neil Herbsman ~ for the Bowery Mission
- 96 LET’S WARM UP ~ Fran Urist, Robin Nelson ~ for Jan Hus Outreach Program
- 96 HOLIDAY FUN ~ Kim Hartman ~ for COAC/ Council on Adoptable Children
- 96 WELCOME PACKAGE ~ Carole Hess ~ for Good Shepherd
- 200 HELP FEED THE HUNGRY ~ Miriam Reines, Gil Gold ~ for the Bowery Mission & Jan Hus Outreach Program
- 48 SPICE IT UP ACCESSORIES ~ Jennifer Kolb ~ for DOROT HPP
- 300 SPICE IT UP CUPS ~ Jennifer Kolb ~ DOROT HPP
- 48 RELOCATION PACKAGES ~ Jodi Isman ~ DOROT HPP
- 96 CHEMO ANGELS ~ Susanne Fischer, Jill Cohen ~ Evelyn Lauder Breast Center
- 200 MILK & COOKIES ~ Jonathan & Shirley Slaff ~ NYCC/New York Center for Children & Jan Hus Outreach Program
- 75 PROM SHOE WISHES ~ Eileen Melnicker ~ Prom Wishes/Project Prom
- 72 ACTIVITY TIME ~ Andrew & Jeremy Chait ~ Mount Sinai Hematology/ Oncology
- 72 KITCHEN START UP ~ Dana Covey ~ URI/ Urban Resource Institute
- 96 SENIOR LIVING KITS~ Saviv ~ Selfhelp
- 150 COMFORT BAGS ~ Marilyn Ezzes, Lee Robbins ~ Children’s Village
- 72 AFTER SCHOOL FUN TIME~ Karel Greenberg ~ NYCC/New York Center for Children
I would also like to express my extreme thanks to Mark Heutlinger, Tony Shkreli, Jesus Toribio, Jason Spangler and the entire maintenance staff, for without their constant willingness to help us every step of the way this Mitzvah would not be possible. I finally would like to thank Marlene Yokel and Lori Villi for their support, many hours of hard work, commitment and their friendship.
I want you all to know that from the bottom of my heart I am thankful to each and everyone of you for your devotion and dedication to helping serve those who are in need of our assistance.
In life, there are no sure bets, except that volunteers like you will rise to the occasion and make the world a better place.
With True Appreciation,
Susan, Lori & Marlene